If there is one thing we have learned from our clients and our own experience regarding the success of social media, it’s that a proper web strategy is crucial. Otherwise, social media can become over-whelming and time-consuming. Not all companies need every social media platform and not all companies want them. So plan it out. If you’re going to do it, do it right.
There are three key components for success when executing a social media plan.
- Social media needs to be viewed as a priority and as a value-added offering to supplement your brand , not something you do when you have time or as a direct avenue to sales growth. The best companies know how and when to use it.
- The best users understand social media is a conversation, not a monologue. You need to commit time and resources to doing it properly. Again, this is not something someone from the mailroom can do for 20 minutes every few days. You need to actively engage in conversations with your listeners.
- You don’t need to know everything about every form of social media. Use the necessary tools so that your efforts are efficient and effective, but only do what you need and stay focused. Pick platforms you understand of ones your clients are using. Focus. No need to boil the ocean.
Is it necessary to use social media effectively?
Yes. Social media is virtually useless if not done well. Lots of tips and information can be found online, but it’s time-consuming and inefficient to follow a plan unless it’s tailored for your business, your audience, and your goals. Here are a few more tips:
- Social media marketing is something that eventually leads to sales and brand growth, but you need to build it authentically and organically. Social media allows consumers to be voices of support for your brand and your work.
- Providing valuable content is critical to your success. Find out what your target wants and give it to them. Ask them if you need to.
- Never ever overtly sell yourself or your company.
- Have a plan in place and stick to that plan to the best of your ability. Stay committed.
- Your company leader must understand the benefits and fundamentals of social media in order to be successful.